PCSX2 0.9.8 was released in May 2011 and featured an overhauled GUI written with wxWidgets that improved compatibility for Linux and newer Windows operating systems, the addition of a new VU recompiler that brought better compatibility, a memory card editor, an overhaul of the SPU2-X audio plug-in, and numerous other improvements. + PCSX2 has been in our software catalog since Apr 12.2019. + The current version is 1.7.0 updated to Aug 12.2020.
PCSX2 is a tool which emulates almost All PlayStation 2 games with high-resolution graphics and speed. It is auto-equipped with plug-ins for custom configuration and better thrilling performance. Each pcsx2 emulator plug-ins incorporating specific work to satisfy several functions such as Audio, Graphics, Controller, USB and more add-ons to enhance better performance. pcsx2 is an open-source platform-independent PS2 emulator that supports multiple devices with OS such as Android, Windows & Mac. pcsx2 setup contains dynamic translators for the PS2’s MIPS and VU chips & based on an in-build efficient plugin architecture, from the core emulator.
Supportive version: Windows & Mac
Last Update: 3 days ago
- pcsx2 emulator available in Multiple languages.
- Linux, Mac, and Windows 32/64 bit OS supported.
- JPG & BMP screenshot with gameplay video recording
- Keyboard shortcuts and optimized sound supportive.
- It supports JoyStick and a graphic card.
- Via various ‘recompilers’ improve performance.
- Save states and dynamic recompilation supportive.
- Cheat codes supported by PCSX2.
Built-In Plugins with Thriller Gaming Experience
pcsx2 setup is committed to giving a better gaming experience to users. Further The graphic, sound, hard drive, and input stream all the subsystem is dependent on plugins and PCSX2 emulator formulate all the functions with securely and speedily through plug-ins. Additionally, It has an inbuilt plugins facility to maintain all the functionality and services, which results as a well-mannered gaming experience.
- GS graphical pcsx2 plugins. Responsible for High-Quality Graphics.
- PAD controller plug-in, Keyboard & gamepad customization which lets you control the gameplay.
- SPU2 sound plug-in. That maintain the music and sound effects in the gameplay.
- CDVD CD/DVD plug-in. Responsible for reading CDs/DVDs or images.
- USB plug-in. That controls the USB port.
- FW plug-in. Firewire port control by this plugin.
- DEV9 hard disk & Ethernet plug-in. That controls the HDD and ethernet driver.
Keyboard Customization Controller Setting
When you emulate PS2 or any pcsx2 games on Windows or Mac users should customize the pcsx2 controller setup to have better gaming facility, “Hot-key” a keyboard shortcut keys that perform the diverse gaming functions during the gameplay. There is no need to add other external functionality to record the screen while operating the game or make a screenshot for gameplay. All the features are setted-up inside for better resolution and comfort.
|F1: Save State.||F10: Enable/Disable Logging|
|F2: Change Slots.||F12: Video Recording|
|F3: Load State.||Tab: Turbo mode|
|F4: Turn On/Off Framelimiter||Shift+Tab: Slow Mode|
|F5: Switch deinterlacing modes||Insert: Turn On/Off mipmapping|
|F6: Switch Aspect Ratios.||Home: Turn On/Off External FX Shader|
|F7: Switch TV Shaders||ESC: Pause emulation & return to GUI|
|F8: Capture ScreenShot||Delete: Turn On/Off Edge Anti-Aliasing|
|F9: Switch Hardware/Software Mode||Page Up: Turn On/Off FXAA|
Pcsx2 1.5.0 Dev
Ps2 games have loaded with higher resolution graphics, Audio, Video, and more add-on filters that facilitate gamer those experiences which he has never enjoyed before. Also, a user can use a dynamically pcsx2 cheats or pcsx2 cheat converter(omniconverter) to convert the raw codes for making a pnatch format file. Else you can download several of the pcsx2 cheats through the internet and place the file onto the “Cheat folder” of your PCSX2 directory. The directory location is similar to the “C:Program Files (x86)PCSX2cheats”. Here you can paste the pcsx2 cheats files onto the “Cheats Folder”. Then launch the PCSX2 emulator on the system and activate the cheats.
How to download PCSX2
pcsx2 download latest version for windows & mac is an easy and compatible emulator program which allows playing all-PS2 games with better gaming resolution embedded with many add-ons. pcsx2 setup is a demanding tool that requires specific criteria of the system configuration to install its files and directories. Intrinsically, this setup is a software application incorporating many files and related directories wrapped under the .rar file. To download pcsx2 emulator follow the guided point mentioned below.
- Click over the download button to get this file.
- Disable the Firewall & Antivirus during Installation.
- Properly Unzip the file in the desktop panel.
- Now follow the Below listed Step to use this file with PC & Mac.
How to use PCSx2 with PC
pcsx2 1.5.0 is a highly configured emulator program that is trusted worldwide for his service and performances, PCSX2 latest version is under the zip file, user may extract it for use onto PC & Mac.
Following the installation, instructions to download the PCSX2 emulator for PS2 gaming.
- Download the pcsx2 1.5 file to click over the download button link or try out any Web-Browser.
- Before Install, Configure it with the pcsx2 bios search path to set the path of the unzipped folder.
- Here start the installation of PCSX2.exe file with ‘Run as Administrator’ by right-clicking on it.
- Now configure the emulator for better gemming functionality to use the guidebook.txt.
- Place any CD/DVD of your favourite games into the PC.
- Either user can create an IOS file of the disk by installing ImgBurn.
- Now enjoy the pcsx2 games and play with your friends.
How to use a USB Joystick on PCSX2
PCSX2 emulator is the main storm of PS2 gaming, all king of the game can be easily supported via the controller. It provides the multiple connector facilities such as USB services to connect multiple controllers to play games with friends, means the user can play a single game with various friends using the external controller. There are diverse controllers to connect with PCSX2 such as Sony PS3 controller, JoyStick, and more. Also, you can do pcsx2 best settings or customize the emulator setting to make it user compatible.
- Plug the USB connector to the PC.
- Enable the External device setting to connect the USB controller to the emulator.
- pcsx2 keyboard controls incorporate all the controlling functions of the gameplay.
- Configure the setting of the controller according to the gameplay.
- Enjoy your favourite game with multiple friends.
PCSX2 Crashing problem
Several aspects are responsible for crashing a system, Control switching & Hardware/Software switching could one of the reasons to cause crashes. Sometimes log warns the user for the wait, but the ignorance becomes the main function to make a crash, Windows basic error, or do not disable the anti-virus during the installation of PCSX2 make a cause of crashes. Intrinsically, pcsx2 compatibility issue could not occur normally, however the client system running under the damage or any corrupt file want to install in the system, it shows such type of errors. To overcome this kind of error, please use the high configured PC and be careful to follow all the instructions and warn of the running program.
Graphical glitches which occur while emulating the program
Sometimes garbage texture missed effects, light sources visibility, objects & transparent objects become foggy or whenever faulty graphic design should set, it should be the cause of the graphical glitch and the pcsx2 compatibility has destroyed. A user must set the proper graphic setting of the current program or alternatively clean the junk file to overcome the glitch issues.
How to Fix PCSX2 Emulator Black Screen “CDVD READ ERROR”
Whenever “CDVD READ ERROR” Black/Dead Screen error shown in the program log, this happens while operating multiple games with miss-configured PS2 emulator setting.
Following are the suctioning methods
- Re-Install PCSX2 emulator latest version.
- Enable the Direct3D9 Hardware setting.
- Enable the Direct3D11 Hardware setting.
- Use ISO file instead of the actual gaming CD/DVD
Fluctuating emulation performance while operating the PS2
CPU power is responsible for Fluctuating emulation in the game. Game itself is a high configured programming file, lower GPU has much lower RAM and other configurations that will crush the game. PCSX2 required high back support of CPU power to run properly and maintain the performance of the game.
Following are the minimum configurations required to run PCSX2 properly.
- OS: Windows 7/8/10 (32/64-bit) or GNU/Linux (32/64-bit)
- CPU: Intel Haswell 4xxx series (or AMD equivalent) @ 2000 STR or better
- GPU: DirectX 11 GPU or greater
- RAM: 4GB or more
pcsx2 android latest version-2020 is the new incredible approach towards the ps2 gaming zone, Which allows users to access high-resolution PS2 games in their Android devices. Intrinsically the PCSX2 emulator offers to play PS2 games on Windows, Linux & Mac operating systems. Now the updated version of PCSX2 PS2-emulator for Android allows you to access all the features and functionality in your Android phones as well as users can access all the PS2 games in his Computer systems.
It is designed with the latest technology architectural view to provide a better interface and facilities to users with the ‘Hot-Keys’ to customize the emulator overview while playing the game. PCSX2 Emulator provides up to 10x peripheral controllers attached with the system such as any Gamepad or Joystick to play with friends.
Screenshot of PCSX2 1.6.0 running on Windows 10 (2004)
|Original author(s)||Linuzappz, Shadow, Refraction, Saqib, Gabest, Gregory|
|Initial release||March 23, 2002; 18 years ago|
|Written in||C++, C (wxWidgets)|
|Operating system||Windows, Linux, macOS|
|Platform||IA-32 (Not AMD64 due to lack of performance-wise benefits)|
|Available in||22 languages|
Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
|Type||Video game console emulator|
|License||GNU General Public License version 2+|
PCSX2 is a free and open-sourcePlayStation 2emulator for Windows, Linux, and macOS that supports a wide range of PlayStation 2 video games with a high level of compatibility and functionality. Although PCSX2 can closely mirror the original gameplay experience on the PlayStation 2, PCSX2 supports a number of improvements over gameplay on a traditional PlayStation 2, such as the ability to use custom resolutions up to 8192×8192, anti-aliasing, and texture filtering.
PCSX2, like its predecessor project PCSX (a PlayStation emulator), is based on a PSEmu Pro spec plug-in architecture, separating several functions from the core emulator. These are the graphics, audio, input controls, CD/DVD drive, and USB and FireWire (i.LINK) ports. Different plug-ins may produce different results in both compatibility and performance. Additionally, PCSX2 requires a genuine copy of the PS2 BIOS, which is not available for download from the developers due to copyright-related legal issues. Since September 2016, PCSX2 is partially compatible with PlayStation games.
The main bottleneck in PS2 emulation is emulating the multi-processor PS2 on the PC x86 architecture. Although each processor can be emulated well independently, accurately synchronizing them is difficult.
Development of PCSX2 was started in 2001 by programmers who go by the names Linuzappz and Shadow, who were programmers for the PlayStation emulator PCSX-Reloaded. Other programmers later joined the team, and they were eventually able to get some PS2 games to the loading screen. The team then started working on the difficult task of emulating the PlayStation 2's BIOS; they got it to run, although it was slow and graphically distorted. Version 0.9.1 was released in July 2006.
From 2007 to 2011, developers worked on Netplay and speed improvements. PCSX2 0.9.8 was released in May 2011 and featured an overhauled GUI written with wxWidgets that improved compatibility for Linux and newer Windows operating systems, the addition of a new VU recompiler that brought better compatibility, a memory card editor, an overhaul of the SPU2-X audio plug-in, and numerous other improvements.
The current development version is reported to be compatible with approximately 97.4% of 2,641 tested games as of August 2020. Compatibility means only that the game will not crash, lock up, or enter a loop; there can still be bugs, missing post-processing effects,textures, and shadows in many compatible games. This is especially the case in hardware mode; a slower software mode is available for bugs without workarounds.
The following areas of PS2 emulation in PCSX2 still require further research and development:
- DMA, SIF, VIF and IOP
- IPU MPEG-2 Decoder
- SPU2 ADSR
- Vulkan GS Driver
PCSX2 supports save states and dynamic recompilation (JIT). There is also support for gameplay recording in Full HD using the GSdx plugin. Options such as the ability to increase/decrease game speeds, use unlimited memory cards, and utilize any gamepad controllers supported by the native operating system are also available. Cheat codes are supported via the use of PNACH patching files.
PCSX2 makes use of plug-ins as a means of modularizing development efforts among the separate components (subsystems) of the emulated PlayStation 2 hardware. For instance, video plug-ins are utilized by PCSX2 to render images to the screen and emulate the graphics hardware of the PlayStation 2, whereas sound plug-ins emulate the sound hardware of the PlayStation 2. Not only does this allow different developers to focus their efforts on one aspect of the PlayStation 2 hardware, this also allows users that have a system configuration that does not yield good results with one plug-in to attempt to try another to see if they have better results.
Multiple plug-ins are currently under ongoing development with a focus on performance and compatibility enhancements. A list of several such plug-ins follows:
|GSdx||Video||The fastest, most accurate graphics plug-in. Requires Direct3D or OpenGL support and optionally uses a GPU. GSdx plug-in is compatible with PSX emulators but is limited to software rendering with them. There also exists an unofficial ToCAEDIT version and the GSdx-Cutie version.|
|GSdx FX||Video||Post-processingshader pack for GSdx plugin.|
|ZZogl||Video||A less optimized graphics plug-in that uses Open GL. Compatible with Linux and Windows. This plugin is fork of ZeroGS KOSMOS plugin.|
|SPU2-X||Audio||The most accurate sound plug-in.|
|SSSPSX Pad||Input||A simple input plug-in.|
|LilyPad||Input||An advanced input plug-in that supports keyboards, mice, and controllers.|
|Nuvee||Input||An input plug-in that supports lightguns and USB mice.|
|TwinPad||Input||Another keyboard and mouse plug-in.|
|XPad||Input||An Xbox 360 controller input plug-in.|
|CDVD||Optical||A simple optical media plug-in that runs games from optical discs.|
|Linuz ISO CDVD||Optical||A plug-in which has the ability to compress ISO images.|
|Dev9||Hard drive||Handles PS2 hard disk drive and Ethernet emulation.|
|MegaDev9||Hard drive||A more advanced version of Dev9. Currently, it only partially emulates the PS2 hard drive.|
|Netplay||Netplay||A plug-in which allows certain games to be playable multiplayer over the Internet.|
Graphical Improvements (GSdx Plugin)
The GSdx plug-in offers a variety of image quality improvements over the original PlayStation 2 hardware, such as:
- Option to increase internal resolution (only in hardware mode)
- Anti-aliasing: FXAA, MSAA (only in the hardware mode and was later removed during 1.5 development) and Edge-AA (only in software mode)
- Post-Processing Pixel Shaders
- Mipmapping (required for correct functioning of some games, like the Jak and Daxter series)
- Bilinear filtering and Trilinear filtering (OpenGL only)
- Widescreen hacks
Pcsx2 1.5.0 Latest Version
Hardware requirements are largely game-dependent. Due to the demanding nature of emulation, PCSX2 is much more likely to perform well with modern mid-range to high-end hardware, with lower-end systems likely to experience less than full performance. The performance bottleneck in most cases is the CPU rather than the GPU. This is especially the case in software mode, in which only the CPU is used for emulation. In hardware mode, the GPU emulates the graphics, but can still be a bottleneck if the internal resolution is set too high. Some games may also run slower due to unoptimized graphics code or weak video cards. As computer hardware has continued to advance with time, the likelihood of performance issues with PCSX2 has experienced a corresponding decrease.
Pcsx2 1.5 0 Dev
PCSX2 has been very well received. Matthew Humphries of Geek.com described it as 'an impressive piece of work'. Alex Garnett of PC World criticized the difficulty of setting up PCSX2 but called it a 'masterpiece.' Although David Hayward of Micro Mart also criticized the complexity, he also called it 'technically amazing.' Sriram Gurunathan of In.com described PCSX2 as 'arguably the most popular emulator around' and named it as one of the site's top five emulators. Brandon Widder of Digital Trends included PCSX2 in his Best Emulators article. PCSX2 can be easily installed on any Windows versions by using its documentation. John Corpuz of Tom's Guide mentioned PCSX2 in his Best PlayStation Emulators for PCs article, saying, 'When it comes to stable, playable Playstation 2 emulation, PCSX2 is pretty much the best game in town at the moment.'
- Dolphin, a Nintendo GameCube and Wii emulator
- ^'Debian -- Details of package pcsx2 in stretch'. Debian. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- ^'Getting Started'. Pcsx2.net. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- ^Refraction (2010-11-05). 'The History of PCSX2'. PCSX2. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- ^'PCSX2 compatibility list'. Pcsx2.net. Retrieved 2020-08-24.
- ^'Post processing Removed When?'. Forums.pcsx2.net. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- ^'Mipmapping in GSDx hardware mode'. Forums.pcsx2.net. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- ^'GSdx Memory Coherency'. Forums.pcsx2.net. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- ^'Custom GSdx Plugin Released'. Toca Edit. 2014-12-20. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- ^'s90110019/Gsdx-cutie: pcsx2 plugin'. GitHub. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- ^'PCSX2/pcsx2'. GitHub. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- ^Humphries, Matthew (August 6, 2012). 'PlayStation 2 emulator PCSX2 reaches v1.0, plays games in 1080p'. Geek.com. Ziff Davis. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- ^Garrett, Alex (September 1, 2011). 'How to Emulate the Sony Playstation 2 (PS2) on Your PC'. Retrieved September 3, 2013.Cite journal requires
- ^Hayward, David (2013-07-19). 'Retro Console Emulators Group Test: PCSX2 1.0.0 Review'. Micro Mart. Dennis Publishing. Archived from the original on 2015-11-25. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- ^Gurunathan, Sriram (February 4, 2011). 'Top Five Emulators'. In.com. Network 18. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- ^Widder, Brandon (April 20, 2013). 'Best Emulators (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and more)'. Digital Trends. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- ^Raha, Gopal (January 19, 2015). 'PCSX2 Install and Configure on Windows 8.1 / 7'. TechBrown. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- ^Corpuz, John (January 30, 2013). 'Best Playstation Emulators for PCs'. Tom's Guide. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PCSX2.|